- 3 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Onions-small diced
- 1 Cup Carrots-small diced
- ½ Cup Celery-small diced
- 1 ½ Cups Dry Green Split Peas-sorted and rinsed
- 4 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth-or substitute water
- ½ Cup Diced Ham
- To Taste Salt and Black Pepper
- Heat a heavy bottomed soup pot on medium heat. Add the oil, onions,carrots, and celery. Cook stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes or until all are very softened and sweet smelling.
- Add the peas and the broth to cover all the ingredients. Place lid on pot and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally or until everything is very tender.
- Soup can be served brothy style, or if desired puree soup by using a hand mixer or blender to your desired consistency. Or just whisk the soup to break up some of the peas and thicken.
- Return soup to pot and season to taste with salt and pepper. If soup is too thick for your liking, adjust with more broth or water. If soup is too thin for you, continue to cook without a lid and let simmer down and get thicker. Add the ham near the end of cooking and heat through. Serve each bowl garnished with croutons. Enjoy!