Fairfield police and fire officials are responding to a hazmat situation at a home at 32 Clinton Street, and firefighters said an older man has died of possible cyanide poisoning.
Police said the initial report came in around 5:15 p.m. and emergency responders arrived to find signs of hazardous material, according to Fairfield Fire Assistant Chief Christopher Tracy.
Potassium cyanide and suicide notes were found around the house, according to Fairfield Fire Chief Richard Felner, adding that the man appeared to have taken his own life.
"At this time we're treating it as an untimely death pending further investigation," said Fairfield Police Deputy Chief Chris Lyddy, in a statement Monday night.
Fire officials said the investigation was concentrated in one room in the home, but that the neighborhood was evacuated and the area was roped off.
People were still out of their homes as of 8:30 p.m. and emergency officials remained on scene until after 10:30 p.m. Monday.
Two firefighters were taken to the hospital for possible exposure to the poisonous chemical.
Assistant Fire Chief George Gomola said the public was never at risk.
The Fairfield County Hazardous Incident Response Team, Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and American Medical Response were on scene, along with the police and fire departments.