Break out your skipper's cap and throw on some topsiders, because a unique event returns to Mystic this year.
The Model Yacht Regatta will be held Aug. 21 to 23 at Mystic Seaport and Museum. Think America's Cup, but on a much smaller scale.
These remote-controlled models will take to the water off the North Dock. The event is hosted by the Mystic Radio Sailors in association with the American Model Yachting Association (AMYA).
The competition consists of two categories: the J Class and the East Coast 12 Meter class.
If you think this obsession with miniatures is a small gathering, you're wrong.. Last year, racers came from as far away as California to test their yachts on East Coast waters.
The models are built to 1/16 the size of the actual yachts that compete in the life-size regattas.
Specifically, the J Class models that will be racing this year match the design of those that raced for the America's Cup from 1930 through 1937.
Since this event is all about scaling down, may we suggest for tailgating purposes:
- Tying a child-size cardigan around your neck, instead of an adult size.
- For food, grill up cocktail weenies instead of regular sized hot dogs.
- Drink wine or beer from mini-paper cups instead of from a full-size glass.
- Along with their stop at Mystic Seaport, the sailors will be visiting Newport, RI; Stowe,
- VT; and Deep River, CT to complete the four race series called "The New England Cup."