The mayor of Hartford spoke to NBC Connecticut's Troubleshooters after the resignation of a school administrator over allegations he inappropriately texted a teenager.
School officials said Eduardo Genao, the district's executive director for compliance, was forced to resign on Tuesday.
Mayer Luke Bronin said these types of allegations will not be tolerated.
"I am extraordinarily disappointed in anybody who worked in any capacity for the city of Hartford - especially for the Board of Education - who could be capable of undermining a child," Bronin told NBC Connecticut Troubleshooters.
Bronin said he is still gathering details on the criminal police investigation that prompted Genao to abruptly resign.
Last month, allegations surfaced that Genao had inappropriately texted an out-of-state 13-year-old he met in March at a Board of Education seminar at Bulkeley.
"As soon as superintendent became aware she immediately took action to remove the person and the individual already under investigation by law enforcement," Bronin said.
The mayor said he's grateful Dr. Aaron Lewis, a local literacy and children's advocate, reached out to both school administrators and police about the allegations. Lewis said he did not get the appropriate response from the superintendent's Chief of Staff and no response from Richard Wareing, the Board of Education chairman.
"It's sad that the Board of Education-- their system is set up (so) they don't take parents seriously, teachers seriously and they don't take advocates seriously," Lewis told NBC Connecticut's Troubleshooters.
The girl's mother told NBC Connecticut Troubleshooters that the conversations between the administrator and her daughter got out of control.
Lewis said he was contacted by the child's mother from New York. She said the text messages started innocently enough but grew to be more concerning.
"He was asking about high school and college she said," the mother told NBC Connecticut Troubleshooters in an exclusive interview.
"We work so hard as parents to keep your children away, from even children their age exposed to things like this, much less for someone entrusted with the lives of children whose supposed to be advocating for children and this is what he’s doing. And then disgusted with board of education.”
NBC Connecticut Troubleshooters reached out to Genao and his attorney for comment.
Hartford Police said no charges have been filed but their investigation is on-going.
As of now, Genao is still eligible to receive his retirement after resigning from his $176,000 salaried job.
"We have no control over his retirement," a district spokesman said. "He is part of the teachers retirement system, which is controlled by the teachers retirement board."