Food Safety

12 Kids Served Expired String Cheese at New Haven School

New Haven Public School officials are investigating after 12 kids were served expired string cheese at lunch at a public magnet school on Monday.

School officials said string cheese with an out of date expiration was distributed during the first lunch service to 12 students at King-Robinson School.

The expired string cheese was reportedly picked as an alternative lunch by the 12 students, experts added.

When officials learned about the string cheese, they said all lunch packages containing them were removed.

One student went to the school nurse and reported not feeling well, school officials said. The school nurse examined the student and returned him or her to class, however, the student was picked up and left early. No other students reported any illness.

"The New Haven Public Schools wants to reassure the Board and our families that the health and safety of our students and families is paramount. The District has enlisted the assistance of the State Department of Education who will be providing on site training for Central Kitchen staff on food safety, food allergens, and food production," New Haven Public Schools Chief Operating Officer Atty. Michael Pinto said in a statement.

"Food Service managers are reviewing procedures with staff to ensure all food service protocols are followed. The State will also be conducting a review of Food Service processes and protocols and will be making recommendations for improvement," he added.

The school district is continuing to investigate the incident.

Contact Us