Man's Hand Crushed After Cleaning Chimney in Stamford: Fire Officials - NBC Connecticut

Man's Hand Crushed After Cleaning Chimney in Stamford: Fire Officials

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    5 Way to Maintain Your Mobile Lifestyle . . . for Less
    Stamford Fire Department

    A man severely crushed his hand after it got caught in a chimney flue in Stamford, according to fire officials.

    A 5-foot piece of unsupported chimney came down and pinned the man's arm against the shaftway, Stamford Fire Department Captain Philip Hayes said.

    The incident occurred at around 6:30 p.m. on Givens Avenue on Saturday.

    The man was cleaning up a construction area when the incident happened, officials said.

    Firefighters stabilized the chimney and then dismantled it to free the man's arm, Hayes said.

    A tourniquet was placed on the man's arm, as there was a serious crush injury, fire officials said.

    The man was transported to Stamford Hospital for treatment.

    Authorities did not disclose further details about the man's condition.

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anywhere, anytime