Bond Set at $2 Million for Man Charged in Hartford Basketball Tournament Shooting

A man arrested in connection with a shooting that killed one man and injured two others appeared in court on Monday and bond was set at $2 million.

The shooting happened during a basketball tournament near a Hartford elementary school on Saturday afternoon and Roosevelt "Roe" Holmes, 23, of Windsor, was arrested on Sunday morning in connection with it.

The victim killed was identified as James Headen, 41, of Hartford. He was shot in the head and died after being transported to the hospital/

Holmes suffered a gunshot wound to the leg.  It’s not clear whether another shooter fired the shots that injured Holmes or whether they were self-inflicted.

Justin Jones, 23, of Hartford, was shot in the hip or groin and Shawn Patterson, 24, of Hartford, was shot in the hand.

Police responded to the city park near the Sarah J. Rawson Elementary School at 260 Holcomb Street around 4:30 p.m. on Saturday after receiving 911 calls reporting several gunshots.

Police arrived to find a chaotic scene, with several people running from the area.

The shooting happened during the "Heat on the Street" basketball tournament, which was not officially sanctioned. School officials said the tournament was on school property, but no one requested permission to use the courts.

An ambulance transported Headen to St. Francis Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 10:49 p.m. on Saturday. Police said he, "by all accounts was an innocent bystander," as were the other victims.

Police took Holmes into custody after the hospital released him and said he got into a dispute during the tournament.

He was charged with criminal possession of a firearm, criminal attempt at first-degree assault, first-degree reckless endangerment and unlawful discharge of a firearm.

Police originally held him on a $1 million bond, but it has been raised to $2 million.

It's unclear who the altercation involved, but police said it didn't appear to be with any of the other three people shot.

They also said Holmes was not playing in the tournament.

The shooting happened on what police consider a quiet street in a neighborhood were crime does not happen.

Major crimes detectives continue to investigate the homicide.
Hartford police ask any witnesses to contact the department and share any videos potentially taken during the shooting. Tips can also be made anonymously through the police department's website.

Contact Us