Failed Times Square Bomb Plotter Due in Court Today

Foiled Times Square bomb plotter Faisal Shahzad is expected to appear in Manhattan federal court later today on five felony charges for allegedly attempting to detonate a car bomb in the heart of the city May 1.

It'll be the first time Shahzad will appear in court since he was taken into custody two days after the thwarted bombing.

Shahzad has been in law-enforcement custody since his May 3 arrest and has provided valuable intelligence from which further investigative action has been taken, authorities said.

Last week, the FBI raided homes on Long Island, outside of Boston, Mass. and in New Jersey looking for possible money connections to Shahzad. One of three men arrested in the sweep yesterday denied any connection to the primary suspect.

Pakistani Consul General Barry Hoffman said Aftab Khan, a Pakistani gas station attendant who lives in Watertown, Mass., told him during a visit to his jail cell Monday that he does not know Faisal Shahzad and had no contact with him.

"He doesn't have any connection to him," Hoffman said. "He's never spoken to him, doesn't know him."
Hoffman said Khan, 27, came to the United States from his native Pakistan about eight months ago. He described Khan as a "scared young man" who doesn't understand why he was arrested last week.
Khan, his roommate, Pir Khan, 43, and a third man, Mohamad Rahman, of South Portland, Maine, are being held on immigration charges after their arrests Thursday.
Authorities say the men funneled money to Shahzad but may not have known how the money would be used.

Shahzad is charged with one count of attempted use of weapons of mass destruction, one count of attempting acts of terrorism transcending national boundaries, one count of use of a destructive device in connection with an attempted crime of violence, one count of transporting and receiving explosives, and one count of attempting to damage and destroy property by means of fire and explosives. If convicted on all counts, he faces life in prison. 

The White House, meanwhile, said today it was dispatching two senior national security aides to Pakistan to press the government there to intensify efforts to investigate the failed bomb plot in Times Square this month and to prevent others like it.

Gen. James L. Jones, the national security adviser, and Leon E. Panetta, the C.I.A. director are the highest-level American visit to Pakistan since the May 1 plot.

A senior administration official said General Jones would not threaten the Pakistani administration, but would convey "the risks to the country’s relationship with the United States if a deadly terrorist attack originated there," the New York Times reported today.

Both intend to press the Pakistani government to take tougher steps against the Taliban and other insurgent groups, U.S officials said.

"In light of the failed Times Square terrorist attack and other terrorist attacks that trace to the border region, we believe that it is time to redouble our efforts with our allies in Pakistan to close this safe haven and create an environment where we and the Pakistani people can lead safe and productive lives," a White House official told the French news agency, AFP.

Meanwhile,  Shahzad had considered targeting several other locations in the city -- including Grand Central and Rockefeller Center -- before deciding to leave an explosives-laden SUV at the "crossroads of the world," law enforcement sources said.

Shahza admitted to planning the bomb attempt in the busy theater district.  Authorities say the Pakistani-born U.S. citizen has been cooperating with investigators and in the course of discussions admitted that he had thought about other city landmarks, including Rockefeller Center, Grand Central Station and the World Financial Center downtown.  He also said he considered attempting to bomb Connecticut-based defense contractor Sikorsky, sources tell NBCNewYork.  But, officials say no plans were made for any other location other than Times Square.

In the end, Shahzad's bomb plot fizzled and the Connecticut resident was arrested two days later at John F. Kennedy Airport while aboard a plane destined for Dubai.

Shahzad had admitted to receiving terror training in Pakistan, and since the failed plot federal and local law enforcement have been trying to uncover whom else might have been complicit in the plot.

Contact Us