Fairfield Man Fatally Shot by Cops Appeared ‘Possessed': Documents

Police who rushed into the house found the man's wife and three children suffering from cuts and blunt force injuries.

A police report says a Connecticut man who was fatally shot by an officer after attacking his wife and children acted like a man "possessed" during the violence.

The Connecticut Post reports the Fairfield police document released Thursday says Christopher Andrews apparently became despondent after the Feb. 16 attack, cut his wrist and stabbed himself in the neck with a knife. Police said Officer Sean Fenton fatally shot Andrews while the man was holding the same knife.

In Feb., authorities said they were called to a home at 22 Mountain Laurel Road around 6 a.m. because of an assault. Andrews came out of the house with a weapon and confronted police. 

Police said the 51-year-old refused orders to drop the weapon. An officer opened fire, shooting and killing him. It's not clear what kind of weapon Andrews' had.

"During the response of officers, our officer did discharge his weapon," said Fairfield Police Chief Gary MacNamara. "There is one fatality involved in the incident as a result of the officer discharging his weapon and that's being investigated."

Police who rushed into the house found the Andrews' wife, Kathleen, 50, and three children — ages 12, 13 and 15 — suffering from cuts and blunt force injuries, some of which were described as serious, authorities said. Police have not released the children's names.

"With regards to weapons involved, there were some slice wounds, some stab wounds on the victims. At this point, we’re not aware of any firearms in the residence. We’re still investigating," MacNamara said.

LifeStar airlifted one of the children to Yale-New Haven Hospital. The other two were taken to Saint Vincent’s Medical Center in Fairfield

The adults were transported to Bridgeport Hospital, where Andrews was pronounced dead.

The police officer involved in the shooting, Sean Fenton, was also brought to St. Vincent's to be evaluated.

"Officer Fenton’s quick action in responding to this incident prevented further serious injury to family members," a statement from Fairfield police said. "Per policy he has been temporarily reassigned from his patrol activities."

Fenton has been a veteran of the force since 1990.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us