Fireplace ashes are to blame for a house fire in Hamden Wednesday, fire officials said.
The Hamden Fire Department responded to a fire at 113 First St. around 1:43 p.m. When crews arrived the rear porch was heavily involved and fire had spread to the kitchen.
The fire was under control by 2:17 p.m. No one was hurt, but a family of five has been displaced.
The fire marshal determined the fire started from ashes from the fireplace that had been disposed of in a plastic pail that was left on the porch.
Fire officials remind the public to use fire-resistant metal tools and metal cans to dispose of fireplace ashes. The can should always be at least 10 feet away from the home. Plastic, cardboard or paper containers are not safe as ashes can remain hot enough to rekindle a fire for hours.