A Willimantic apartment building was evacuated, and Main Street was shut down Monday after a fire involving a meth lab Monday morning, according to the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.
Police said the fire department responded to 560 on Main Apartments on Main Street in Willimantic at 11:15 a.m. after a fire alarm went off.
Police said a suspicious incident led to the fire, which was contained to one apartment, and they had identified a suspect.
DEEP later said a single-pot meth lab sparked the fire.
Stories from NBCLX
LX, or Local X stands, for the exponential possibilities of storytelling in our communities.
Police said this appears to be an isolated incident, there are no reports of injuries and there is no ongoing threat to the public. The road has reopened, and most residents have been allowed back into their homes.
DEEP said the local Health Department deemed two of the units in the building remain unfit for occupancy.
Willimantic police were being assisted in the investigation by the DEEP and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.