Barricaded Person Taken Into Custody in Ansonia

NBC Universal, Inc.

A person who was barricaded inside of a home in Ansonia since Sunday night has been taken into custody.

Police said non-lethal irritants were used to get 34-year-old Gabriel Resto, of Ansonia, out of the house and onto the porch. He then surrendered and was taken into custody shortly after 8 a.m. on Monday.

According to officers, Resto's girlfriend reported a disturbance around 7:30 p.m. on Sunday. She said he was acting irrationally and was displaying a gun.

The first officer at the scene took the woman and her 9-month-old child that she was holding to a safe area away from the house while other officers secured the perimeter.

When more police arrived to the scene, officers made contact with Resto, but said he was screaming and yelling so they backed off.

State police responded and brought negotiators. Negotiators were in contact with Resto for more than 10 hours until the negotiations started to deteriorate and Resto refused to communicate, police said. It was then that they decided to use the non-lethal irritants to get him out.

Police said Resto initially came out and walked down to the first floor, but then turned and tried to go back into the house. At that time, state police used a less lethal impact munition to subdue him and take him into custody, they said.

Authorities said they had no indication that Resto was going to be violent, but advised neighbors to stay away from windows in their homes as a precaution. No direct threats were made.

Resto is facing charges including assault and disorderly conduct for the domestic violence incidents. He was additionally charged with interfering with police for his refusal to exit the house and for his attempt to re-enter the home after he was told he was under arrest, according to police. He was held on $30,000 bonds and his arraignment is pending.

Some Ansonia Public Schools bus routes were rerouted, according to a Facebook post from the schools.

Ansonia School Bus Routes

Some school buses were rerouted this morning, which affected all bus routes through Elm Street between Main Street and Platt Street, according to a social media post from Ansonia Public Schools.

There were no bus pickups on Thomas Street, Vose Street and Gracie Street.

Contact Us