Some drink coffee, others go for energy drinks like Monster to get a quick pick-me-up. Ashley Stewart said Monster is her go-to energy drink when she needs a boost.
“I do it to get energy,” said Ashley Stewart.
“I heard that they were bad for you,” said Brandon Matthews.
“I drink two cans a day,” said Tony Alzandani.
The drink comes in 24-ounce cans and contains more than 200 milligrams of caffeine—seven times the amount you’d find in a regular 12-ounce cola.
Safety concerns are being raised after the popular Monster Energy Drink was cited in five deaths and a non-fatal heart attack.
Dr. Asim Tarabar, an emergency room doctor and toxicologist, said that amount of caffeine is dangerous.
“It’s not good, and it’s not safe and I think the public does not know that those are not regulated,” said Dr. Tarabar.
The Food and Drug Administration is investigating Monster Beverage Corp., after reports that the energy drink was cited in five deaths and a non-fatal heart attack.
“That’s really, really scary,” said Stewart.
Monster was recently named in a wrongful death suit after a 14-year-old girl died, after drinking two
Monster energy drinks in a 24-hour period. Dr. Tarabar didn’t treat that teen, but said consuming that many energy drinks is like drinking 14 cups of coffee.
“It can decrease the amount of your potassium and it does shift your potassium and the shift can cause cardiac dysrhythmia and possible death,” said Dr. Tarabar.
The FDA said the reports don’t necessarily prove the drinks caused the deaths or injuries. While the agency continues to investigate Monster Energy Corp., Stewart said she’ll turn to another method to stay awake.
“I don’t think I’m going to drink Monster anymore.”
Monster energy drinks feature labels that warn children, pregnant women and those with caffeine sensitivities from consuming it.