As the state experiences the first significant snowstorm of the season, several towns are opening warming centers.
- Canton Public Library, 40 Dyer Ave., Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; handicapped accessible; no pets are allowed unless they're designated as service animals; no accomidations overnight
- Good Samaritan Day Center, 13 Maple Ave., Danbury, open all day Saturday and will serve lunch; may stay open for breakfast on Sunday morning if Dorothy Day Soup Kitchen isn't open
- Dorothy Day Soup Kitchen, opens at 3 p.m.
- Shelter from the Cold at Saint James AME Church, 45 Williams St., open all day; serving lunch; may serve breakfast Sunday
- Parker Memorial, 2621 Main Street, Saturday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Pope Park, 30 Pope Park Dr., Time, Saturday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Hartford Downtown Library, 500 Main St., Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Albany Library Branch, 1250 Albany Avenue, Saturday 12:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Barbour Branch, 281 Barbour St., Saturday 12:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Camp Field Branch, 30 Campfield Ave., Saturday 12:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Mark Twain Branch, 55 Forest St., Saturday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Goodwin, 460 New Britain Ave., Saturday 12:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- St. Vincent De Paul; South Congregational Church, 9 Pleasant St., Middletown, 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. through Feb. 6; single adult men and women only, no children
- Bethel AME Church Warming Center, 255 Goffe St., New Haven, normally open daily 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. and open noon Saturday, Jan. 23 to Sunday at 8 a.m.; single adults only, no children; call 203-865-0514 for more information.
- Church on the Rock Overnight Warming Center, 95 Hamilton St., open 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily for men and women and open extended hours Saturday, Jan. 23 at noon until Sunday, Jan. 24 at noon.
- Chester Addison Community Center, 245 Selleck Street, Monday to Friday (9 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Faith Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church, 29 Grove St., Monday to Thursday (6 p.m. to 9 p.m., no Fridays), Saturday (5 p.m. to 9 p.m.), Sunday (3:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.)
- Glenbrook Community Center, 35 Crescent St., Monday to Friday (8 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.), Saturday to Sunday (10 a.m. –to 9:30 p.m.)
- Government Center, 888 Washington Blvd., 1st floor lobby, Monday to Friday (7 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
Jewish Community Center, 1035 Newfield Ave., Monday to Thursday (5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.), Friday (5:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.), Saturday to Sunday (7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Stamford Family YMCA, 10 Bell Street, Monday to Friday (9 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
During severe cold weather protocols, Stamford-based Inspirica will have an overnight warming center 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. the next morning at 8 Woodland Place for the homeless.
- Waterbury Hospital Center, 693 East Main St., open 7 p.m. to 7 p.m. Jan. 23 to 24 as warming center/overflow shelter for single adults, call 203-591-9156 for more information.
Officials warn pet owners that pets should not be kept outside during extremely cold weather because they can suffer frostbite and hypothermia the same as humans.