Wesleyan Football Player Arrested After Wild Suicide Attempt: Cops

A Wesleyan University football player slammed his car head-on into another vehicle, injuring two people, during a suicide attempt in Middletown early Sunday morning, according to police.

An officer who spotted Ibraheem Khadar, 23, of Lowell, Massachusetts, speeding on William Street around 12:45 a.m. yelled to him, but Khadar passed the patrol car and hit a sedan, head-on, police said.

Officers ran over to Khadar’s car, as well as the sedan, where they found two people with injuries.
Khadar was alone in his car and initially refused officer’s orders to show his hands, police said. But then, he threw the door opened, got out of the car, walked toward the officer and yelled to authorities to shoot him, police said.

Police told Khadar to get on the ground, but he continued to walk toward officers and yell, so an officer shot him with a stun gun, police said.

Khadar proceeded to run up William Street, across High Street and through a Wesleyan University field, where he started to slow down and fell to the ground.

As police handcuffed Khadar, he continued to yell at police and asked them to shoot him and Tase him again, police said.

Police officers then carried Khadar to a cruiser, but he kicked, twisted and hit officers, injuring one of them, police said.

As the police station, Khadar was calmer, apologized to officers and said he was upset about an argument with his girlfriend and wanted to die, according to the arraignment report.

He went on to tell officers that he sped up his car, aiming for a person who was stopped and police vehicles, then changed his mind, unbuckled his seatbelt and hit the sedan and an unoccupied cruiser, according to police.

Khaddar was charged with reckless driving, operating an influence under the influence of drugs or alcohol, evading responsibility, second-degree reckless endangerment, assault on police personnel, four counts of interfering with police, second-degree breach of peace, second-degree assault, two counts of third-degree assault and two counts of reckless endangerment.

He was held on a $75,000 surety bond and is due in court on May 26.

Police also charged a resident with interfering with a police officer when she approached. He said "you tased him," and asked Khadar if he was OK and needed help, then refused to back away from the scene, police said.  

Contact Us