- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic, about 6 cloves
- 3 cups canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon toasted cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice of two limes
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion, pepper and garlic for about five minutes or until light brown.
- Stir in the tomato paste and toasted cumin and cook for one minute.
- Place the black beans in the bowl of a food processor outfitted with a steel chopping blade. Add the sautéed ingredients and the kosher salt, then puree until the beans become a smooth paste.
- Pour in the juice of two limes and the hot sauce. Pulse to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.