The recipe makes about 30 small pieces
- 2 Tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Onions-small diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves-minced
- 4 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth-season very well with salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Basil-dry or use 2 tbs. Fresh chopped
- 1 Cup Cornmeal-coarse, fine, or a mix of both
- ½ Cup Parmesan Cheese-grated
- ¼ Lb. Gorgonzola or any favorite cheese
- 4 Tbsp. Sun-Dried Tomatoes-chopped into fine strips
- Italian Parsley Leaves to Garnish
- Preheat oven to 375° f. Heat heavy bottomed saucepan on medium high heat, add onions and cook for about 2 minutes until soft. Add garlic, cook 30 seconds stirring.
- Add chicken broth, dry basil, and bring to a boil. Add cornmeal in a thin stream to boiling broth while whisking rapidly to avoid lumps. Bring back to a boil, whisking rapidly until very smooth and thick. Place a lid on pan and place in oven for 20 minutes. (Be sure your saucepan doesn’t have plastic handles and can go into oven, otherwise simmer very slowly on your stovetop for 20 minutes)
- When polenta is done stir in the Parmesan cheese, then transfer the polenta onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with vegetable spray. With a rubber spatula, spread out to about ¾” thickness. (Not all of the pan will be covered depending on the size of your pan. Place the whole pan on a cookie cooling rack for 15 minutes, then into your refrigerator uncovered for at least 1 hour to harden.
- When polenta is firm, loosen from the sides with paring knife. Invert whole pan onto cutting board, and cut into any desired shape and size. Top each piece with a crumble of the Gorgonzola cheese, and a strip of the sun-dried tomatoes. Reheat until gently warmed as needed and garnish each with a small leaf of Italian parsley. Enjoy!
Please visit Chef Jamie’s Facebook page