This recipe makes a 6-by-9-inch casserole.
- 4 to 6 green tomatoes, medium to large, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- ½ Tsp. black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups Panko bread crumbs
- 4 Bacon slices, cooked until less than crisp, small diced, reserve fat
- 1 Tsp. fresh thyme
- ¾ cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees Fahrenheit. Place the sliced tomatoes in a colander and sprinkle with salt and black pepper, toss evenly to coat but do not mash tomatoes.
- Place the colander over a bowl or in the sink and allow the salt to remove excess liquid for about 10 minutes to remove excess water from the tomatoes.
- In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, thyme, cooked diced bacon, cheddar and the reserved bacon grease. Toss evenly to coat.
- Add half of the sliced, drained tomatoes to the casserole, spreading evenly. Sprinkle an even layer of bread crumb mixture over the top. Top with the remaining tomatoes and then a final layer with the remaining bread crumb mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, until bubbly, and the bread crumb mixture is a deep golden brown.
- Let cool 15 minutes or more and serve.
- Great served with a vinaigrette dressed salad. Enjoy!