This recipe serves four.
- 3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Onions-small diced
- 1 Cup Arborio Rice-available in Italian section of market
- 4 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth- heat until simmering, season well with s & p
- 2 Cups Fresh Shelled Peas-steamed and cooled or frozen baby peas-thawed
- ¾ Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- ¼ Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
- Heat a large, wide, heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium high heat. Add olive oil and onions. Cook stirring for about 2 minutes or until translucent and sweet smelling.
- Add rice and coat with the hot oil, cook for 30 seconds. Using a 4 oz. soup ladle, add the well seasoned, simmering broth gradually to rice, stirring quite regularly with a wooden spoon. (Using a metal spoon will result in gummy, mushy rice since it will puree the rice as it cooks).
- As rice absorbs the stock, add more. Continue this process for about 15 minutes or until rice is starting to get tender. Adjust heat only to maintain a gentle bubbling. If it cooks too fast, more liquid will be required since much is evaporating into the air.
- While rice is cooking, place 1 cup of the thawed frozen peas (reserve other cup of peas for later) and the heavy cream in blender, puree until smooth, reserve.
- After 15 minutes, taste the rice for a tender, yet slightly firm texture at center of grain. When the rice is just slightly underdone, add the pea puree, reserved cup of peas, butter, and parmesan. Cook stirring gently for 2 minutes just to heat through. If sauce is too thick, add a touch more broth or water.
- Texture of sauce should be very creamy. Divide into four soup plates, garnish the top with more parmesan cheese and peas. Enjoy!