For the bread:
- 21⁄2 cups (240 g) whole grain einkorn flour
- 1 Tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 Tsp. fine sea salt
- 5 Tbsp. extra-virgin coconut oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 3 very ripe bananas, cut into half-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
For the glaze:
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground ginger
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 41⁄2-by-81⁄2-inch loaf pan.
To make the bread:
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium skillet, heat the coconut oil until it melts. Add the bananas and brown
- sugar. Simmer on medium-low heat for five minutes, stirring occasionally, until the bananas have softened and the sugar begins to caramelize. Allow the bananas to cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the bananas and eggs in a blender or food processor and process to a smooth
- purée. Fold the banana mixture into the flour with a spatula until just combined. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake the bread for 42 minutes until a toothpick comes away clean when inserted in the center of the bread. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then unmold the loaf and let cool on a rack for 30 minutes before glazing.
- Make the glaze:
- Combine the powdered sugar, cinnamon and ginger in a small bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons water and mix until the sugar dissolves. Spread on the top of the bread.
- Store at room temperature, covered with plastic wrap, for up to three days.