Baby Hospitalized After Swallowing PCP-Laced Cigarette | NBC Connecticut

Baby Hospitalized After Swallowing PCP-Laced Cigarette

Police said the boy's father admitted the laced cigarette was his.

Police in New Haven have arrested the parents of an 18-month-old boy who was rushed to the hospital after swallowing a cigarette laced with PCP, authorities said. (Published Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016)

Police in New Haven, Connecticut, have arrested the parents of an 18-month-old boy who was rushed to the hospital after swallowing a cigarette laced with PCP, authorities said.

EMTs responded to the Brookside/West Hills apartment after the baby’s mother called 911 just before 1 p.m. Tuesday and found the little boy unconscious, according to police.

He was breathing and had a pulse when emergency crews arrived, police said.

The little boy was rushed to the pediatric emergency department at Yale-New Haven Hospital, where his condition has improved. Police said he is stable, conscious and breathing on his own.

Sean Rayford/Getty Images

Officers at the scene Tuesday said the 27-year-old mother and 28-year-old father noticed the baby acting oddly, as if he was high, before the child lost consciousness. The mother then smelled PCP on her son’s breath and called for help, authorities said.

Police said the drugged cigarette had been left within the child’s reach. When investigators spoke with the baby’s father, he allegedly admitted to the laced cigarette was his.

Police charged the parents with risk of injury to a minor. The father was also charged with possession of narcotics.

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS