Blizzard a Budget Buster for Towns

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    NBC Connecticut
    DPW crews in Clinton are piling up snow at the town beach.

    They are finished adding up snow totals but now towns and cities across the state are counting something else: the cost of the Blizzard of 2013.

    In Durham department of public works crews have been working around the clock to clear the rural roads in the town.

    Some residents said Tuesday they were happy with the town's response.

    "We live on Sand Hill Road, we're down to one lane, but they really have done an amazing job on a very treacherous street," Min Ludecke, a Durham resident, said.

    But the more than 2-feet of snow that fell has not been inexpensive to get rid of.

    "This one is going to be very costly because of the overtime on the weekend and the extra personnel we had to contract for," Laura Francis, Durham's first selectwoman, said.

    Before the blizzard struck the town had already used 60 percent of its $145,000 storm budget. This storm will no doubt push them over the limit, Francis added.

    It is a similar story in the shoreline town of Clinton.

    "There's probably nothing left at this point," William Fritz, Clinton's first selectman, said.

    Fritz said the town has spent a quarter million of its snow budget.

    Clinton was able to bring in heavy equipment the morning after the storm. They hired ten outside contractors to help all thanks to a prompt emergency declaration by President Obama.

    "That allowed my public works director to secure them for the weekend," Fritz said.

    That disaster declaration helped ease the financial burden for Durham as well.

    Asked what the overall cost of the storm response would be, Gov. Malloy said, "A lot."