1 ¼ Cups Farro-available in the rice section of the market
2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Cup Onions-finely diced
2 tsp. Garlic-sliced thinly
4 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth or Water
3 Cups Arugula or Spinach
½ Cup Roasted Red Peppers-1/2” diced
¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese-freshly grated
To Taste Salt and Black Pepper
• Place the farro in a bowl and add enough water to cover.
• Let the grain soak for 30 minutes then drain thoroughly.
• In a pot over medium heat add the olive oil and onions.
• Cook stirring for about 1 minute or until softened.
• Add the garlic, cook 30 seconds.
• Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil.
• Add the drained farro and cook over medium heat uncovered for about 25 minutes or until the liquid is nearly evaporated.
• Stir in the arugula and cook just to wilt.
• Stir in the roasted red peppers and the Parmesan cheese.
• Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Published at 12:18 PM EST on Jan 14, 2014