The New Haven fire department is still investigating a two-alarm fire at a power conversion station on Connecticut Avenue that burned through Saturday night.
Laurence Grotheer, spokesperson for New Haven Mayor Toni Harp, confirms that this was an electrical fire involving a major transmission line for United Illuminating and Cross Sound Cable.
According to the fire department, the call came in at about 5 p.m. Saturday as a transformer explosion at an oil terminal. Crews on scene said the fire reignited several times.
Fire officials were inside Halvarsson Converter Station Sunday morning searching for a leak and trying to determine more specifically what sparked the fire. They were also taking a look at the transformer. New Haven police were there guarding the entrance.
People in the area told NBC Connecticut that they heard a loud boom and saw smoke shooting 50 feet in the air Saturday.
"When we arrived, we had a fire involving about 16,000 gallons of mineral oil," New Haven Deputy Chief Brian Jooss said.
People nearby were concerned because of the oil inside.
"I thought it was going to blow because I thought it was oil in there," Stephanie Cullimore, of Westport, said.
Firefighters could not immediately put water on the fire due to the live power lines. Both United Illuminating and Cross Sound Cable were working to shut off power.
A representative for United Illuminating said that the location of the fire was the Halvarsson Converter Station, which is owned by Cross Sound Cable.
No injuries have been reported.
Firefighters said the air is safe to breath.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection responded as a precaution.
Check back for updates.