Connecticut officials are increasing security in the wake of a “credible but unconfirmed” threat aimed at New York City or Washington, D.C. days before the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.
Counter-terrorism officials said the threat involves a possible car bomb to target bridges and tunnels and it is being taken seriously, not only because of the sensitivity of this anniversary but also because of information collected from Osama Bin Laden's compound earlier this year.
The attacks took the lives of 152 people with ties to Connecticut, many of whom worked in New York City, and state police said last week that they were enhancing security because of the state’s proximity to New York and other major cities.
If you plan on going into New York City for the anniversary, be aware that patrols will be stepped up on trains, buses and in tunnels and you can expect to see spot checks on public transportation.
New York police are boosting their presence by a third and they will step up towing cars and vans that are parked illegally.
Metro-North is working with local, state and federal officials to learn more about this threat and take more precautions if necessary.
"In preparation for the tenth anniversary of 9/11, the MTA has increased its security presence across its transportation network with our law enforcement partners. We continue to coordinate with local, state and federal law enforcement regarding any potential threats," the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which runs Metro-North, said in a news release.
They also want to remind people who see something to say something, which means contacting police if something appears suspicious to you.