This recipe serves four.
- 6 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 Cup quinoa
- 2 Cups chicken broth or vegetable broth or water
- 1 ½ cups diced sweet potatoes, cut in ½-inch dice, steamed until cooked
- 6 Fresh pineapple slices, cored and sliced into ½-inch thick slices
- 2 Sweet onions, peeled and sliced into ½-inch thick slices
- ¼ Cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tsp. Chipotle pepper paste
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 ketchup
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- To taste, salt and black pepper
Heat a heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the canola oil and the quinoa. Cook, stirring for about 90 seconds, to coat the quinoa with the oil and lightly toast. Add the broth, season to taste, cover and bring to a boil. When boiling, turn down to a very slow simmer and leaving the lid on, cook for 20 minutes. When done, spread out onto a baking sheet to cool completely.
Meanwhile preheat a grill on high heat. Lightly coat the pineapple slices and sweet onion slices with the second measure of canola oil. Place them on the grill and cook on high heat for about two minutes per side, remove and let cool. Chop into smaller pieces. Add to the salad.
Prepare the dressing by shaking together in a jar the vinegar, honey, chipotle pepper paste, ketchup and remaining four tablespoons of oil, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
Add the dressing and cilantro to the salad and toss well. Serve and enjoy!