Makes more than 30 soup hors d’oeuvres.
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onions, diced ½-inch
- ½ cup carrots, diced ½-inch
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled, diced ½-inch
- 2 cups red bell pepper, diced ½-inch
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. basil, cut into little strips
- ½ cup sour cream, to use as garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat a saucepot on medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, onions and carrots.
Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened. Add the potatoes, peppers and broth.
Cover and cook for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes and vegetables are tender.
Puree soup using a blender or hand immersion blender until your desired smoothness. Return soup to the pot. If soup is too thick for your liking, add more broth or water. If soup is too thin for your liking, place it back in the pot and simmer down for a few minutes without a lid until your desired thickness is reached.
Before serving, stir in the basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. To serve as a soup hors d’ oeuvre, carefully ladle the hot soup into small 2-oz. serving glasses or mini bowls. Garnish each with a small dallop of the sour cream, a small dice of red pepper and a basil shred. Enjoy!