For Crisp Pastry Layers:
- 12 Wonton Wrappers-small round or square
- As Needed Vegetable Oil for Deep Frying
- As Needed Salt and Black Pepper to Season
- Heat vegetable oil in deep fry pot to 350 °F. Combine sugar and ginger and lay out on plate to dredge wontons. Separate the wonton wrappers and drop in batches of 3 into the oil. Fry until a light, even golden color appears. Remove, drain briefly on paper towels, and immediately season with salt and black pepper. Repeat with all other wonton wrappers. Reserve for plating.
For the Greens
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion-sliced thinly
- 2 Garlic Cloves-sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
- 3 Cups Wild Garlic Mustard Greens-or substitute fresh spinach
- 1/2 Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
- To Taste Salt and Black Pepper
- Heat a saute pan on medium high heat. Add olive oil and onions. Cook for about 2 minutes or until until light golden at edges. Add the garlic and red pepper, cook 30 seconds. Add the greens, tossing and cook just until barely wilted. Stir in the feta cheese. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Reserve.
To Assemble Napoleon:
- On each of four plates, place a teaspoon of the filling in the middle of plate. Stick on one layer of the crisp wonton. Add a spoonful of the filling. Top with another crisp wonton. Repeat this process so you have two layers of filling, and three wontons. Garnish with another grating of Parmesan cheese and a spring of garlic mustard green flowers. Enjoy!
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.com