Citrus and Cream Shortcake
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 4 Tbsp. butter - cold, cut into pieces
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk - cold
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream - cold
- 4 Oranges and or grapefruits - segmented
- 1 Cup orange juice
- As needed, sugar in the raw
- As needed, whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 ºF. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8 or 9” cake pan with butter or vegetable spray. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add butter. Use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter, working until the butter is the size of small peas. Evenly moisten the mixture with the buttermilk and heavy cream and gently mix until just combined using a rubber spatula. Do not overmix.
- Transfer the batter into the cake pan and level out. Tap on the table to remove air in the mixture. Lightly sprinkle Sugar in the Raw over the top if desired.
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until a very pale golden and when a toothpick at the center comes out clean. Let cool on a rack.
- Invert cake pan onto a cutting board to un mold. Cut into 8 pie shaped wedges. Slice each wedge in half crosswise like. Place the bottom wedge on each plate, divide the orange juice and soak each bottom layer and and top with 1/8th of the citrus segments. Place the top of the shortcake wedge on top. Garnish with whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.com.