Makes enough stuffing for 8.
- 4 Cups French bread, cut into ½-inch cubes, or substitute pre-made croutons
- ½ Lb. Sweet Italian sausage –meat removed from casings
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Cups Apples-peeled, cored and diced ½-inch
- 1 ½ Cups Onions-medium diced
- ¾ Cup Celery-medium diced
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Chopped Sage, or Substitute 1 Tbsp. Poultry Seasoning
- 3 Eggs-beaten
- ½ Cup Chicken Broth
- Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
Preheat oven to 350ºf.
Lay the bread cubes on a cookie sheet in an even layer and bake in the oven for about 12 minutes or until slightly crisp and light golden. Reserve.
Heat a saute pan on medium heat. Fry the sausage up, chopping it up a bit as it cooks until the fat has come out, and the sausage is just cooked.
Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage, leaving the fat in the pan. In the same pan add the butter, apples, onions, celery, and sage and cook on medium high heat for about 10 minutes or until softened. Let cool 10 minutes.
Gently combine the bread, reserved sausage meat and cooked vegetable mixture in a bowl.
Add the eggs and chicken broth to the bowl, mixing gently to evenly moisten the bread, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
Place stuffing into a greased casserole dish and bake uncovered for about 40 minutes or until the center is heated through and the top gets golden and crisp.