New Britain Man Accused of Assault, Threatening to Kill Police - NBC Connecticut

New Britain Man Accused of Assault, Threatening to Kill Police

A New Britain man is accused of badly assaulting two pepole at his home and threatening to kill police.



    Police say Robert Cane threatened to kill them when they showed up to investigate him for an alleged assault at his home. Then he barricaded himself inside. This prompted a tense swat situation SWAT standoff that lasted for hours and put neighbors in a panic. (Published Monday, Oct. 7, 2013)

    A New Britain man is facing charges after he reportedly assaulted two people last night, then barricaded himself in his home and threatened to kill officers who responded to the scene, police said.

    According to police, 55-year-old Robert Cane violently attacked two guests in his house at 830 Slater Road on Tuesday night. The incident wasn’t reported until Wednesday afternoon.

    When officers arrived at Cane’s home around 2:15 p.m. Wednesday, Cane threatened to kill them and barricaded himself inside the house, according to police.

    Police drew their guns, and after an hours-long standoff, Cane was arrested and taken into custody, police said.

    Slater Road was shut down during the encounter and neighbors were told to stay inside their houses.

    Pete Siragusa, who lives across the street from Cane, said he's known Cane for years and, until today, never noticed anything suspicious.

    "He was a nice guy," Siragusa said. "He brought apples to myself and neighbors just the other day."

    Siragusa said he didn't hear anything unusual last night and was surprised to find out about the incident.

    "It was a little wild to look out the window and see all the police cruisers out there," he said.

    Police said the assault victims were badly injured but have not released the specific details of their conditions.

    Cane is facing several charges, including breach of peace.

    The investigation is ongoing.