Fotis Dulos

Fotis Dulos Hospitalized After Suicide Attempt

NBCUniversal, Inc.

Fotis Dulos was taken to the hospital in critical condition after attempting to take his own life at his Farmington home on Tuesday morning, according to Farmington police.

What to Know

  • Fotis Dulos is facing murder charges in connection with the disappeareance of his estranged wife Jennifer Dulos, who vanished in late May after dropping her children off at school
  • Fotis Dulos attempted to take his own life on Jan. 28 before an emergency bond hearing
  • Fotis Dulos has been taken to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, New York for treatment after carbon monoxide poisoning

Lt. Tim McKenzie said Farmington police responded to the Dulos home on Jefferson Crossing at 11:54 a.m. Tuesday for a well-being check after Dulos was late for a court appearance.

Fotis Dulos, the estranged husband of missing mom Jennifer Dulos, was due in court in Stamford Tuesday for a bond adjustment hearing, according to the court clerk’s office.

Attorney Norm Pattis reacted Tuesday to the news that his client, Fotis Dulos, attempted suicide. Dulos is facing murder charges in connection with the disappearance of his estranged wife, Jennifer Dulos.

According to Dulos' attorney, they were called in for an emergency hearing to address questions about the $6 million bond in the criminal case.

The bonding company has filed to rescind the $6 million bond over technicalities. That hearing has been moved to Wednesday.

The officers who responded to Dulos' Farmington home found him in a vehicle his garage, saying he was in medical distress from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to police.

"When officers responded, they could see through a window that Mr. Dulos was sitting in his vehicle and he had obvious signs of medical distress," McKenzie said.

Officers then forced their way in, started to treat Dulos and medics were called in. Dulos was then transported to UConn John Dempsey Hospital.

Attorney Norm Pattis confirmed that Dulos was then taken to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, New York for further treatment, where he remains as of Tuesday night.

According to the hospital's website, Jacobi has treated more than 3,000 patients for carbon monoxide poisoning, more than any other hospital in the country.

Farmington police said they are investigating at the house and they plan to be at the house for a few hours.

Fotis Dulos was alone at the house when police found him, Farmington police said.

A spokesperson for the hospital has not commented on Fotis Dulos' status and said they are not allowed to comment. Pattis described his medical condition as "perilous."

A gag order is in place for the criminal charges against Fotis Dulos and Pattis has been trying to get that lifted. The case is in the state Supreme Court.

An attorney for Fotis Dulos said his client, Fotis Dulos, has been taken to UConn Health Center.

Fotis Dulos has been charged with murder, commission of felony murder, kidnapping in the first-degree, hindering prosecution in the first degree and two counts of tampering with physical evidence. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Pattis said the last time he spoke with his client, he had been determined to fight the charges.

"The potential for a bond revocation was devastating news to him but throughout he has been a fighter and resolute in our review of the discovery. We very much liked our options for trial and we very much liked our possibility for success," Pattis said.

The NBC Connecticut crew at the courthouse said there was no sign of Fotis Dulos at the noon hearing, the pool camera that was in court was removed and the doors of the courtroom where Dulos was scheduled to appear were locked.

Carrie Luft, a spokesperson for Jennifer Dulos' family and friends, declined to comment on the situation.

SUICIDE PREVENTION HELP: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800-273-8255) is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Fotis Dulos has been on house arrest after posting bond for the most recent charges.  

The Disappearance of Jennifer Dulos

Jennifer Dulos, a mother of five, has been missing since May 24. The last sighting of her was when she dropped her children off at school in New Canaan that morning.

Officers who went to her home to investigate the missing person case found bloodstains on the garage floor and on a vehicle in the garage, which led them to believe the home was a crime scene, according to an arrest warrant. They said there was also evidence of attempts to clean it up.

See the timeline of the case here.

Conditions of Fotis Dulos' Release Modified

Fotis appeared in court last week and the judge changed the conditions of his release to strict house arrest after prosecutors filed a motion saying Dulos violated terms of his release by getting out of his car and removing items from a memorial for Jennifer.

Fotis Dulos’ attorney, Norm Pattis, said last week that he was disappointed in the decision.

Pattis also said there is no evidence that Jennifer is deceased.

"I remind the supporters, Jennifer is missing. She may be presumed dead as far as they're concerned, we've yet to see persuasive evidence of that," Pattis said.

Legal experts say prosecutors are likely to ask for an increase in bond for Fotis Dulos after his suicide attempt.

In-Depth Look at the Disappearance of Jennifer Dulos and the Investigation

Get an in-depth look at the case here.

Contact Us