Fireworks in Holiday Decorations Send Boy to Hospital

Getty Images

A 7-year-old West Haven boy is in still in the hospital with facial injuries on Monday after a firework-like device exploded inside his home on Sunday afternoon.

The boy was looking at a dead relative's Christmas decorations inside his Fourth Avenue home when a “firework-like device” exploded near his face, police said.

Officers and medical personnel were called to the home on Sunday but the boy's guardian had already left for Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital with him by the time authorities arrived.

The boy suffered facial injuries, Sgt. Martin Garcia, public information officer for the West Haven Police Department, said.

The boy’s injuries are not believed to life-threatening, Garcia said. The child's name and condition haven't been released.

Police obtained a search warrant for the home and say they didn't find any other explosives.

A 4-year-old girl who was also in the house was not injured.

No one has been arrested, but the investigation continues.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us