Imagine getting a call at work from your three children who say someone threw a bottle with a flammable substance through your window and your house is on fire.
That’s what happened to Abdul Haleem Bilal, a father of three from Middletown, Thursday morning.
Someone threw a molotov cocktail (a glass beer bottle with gas inside and a rag sticking out of it) through a first-floor window of 307 Woodbury Circle apartment just before 2:30 a.m., police said.
The bottle had not broken but gas seems to be behind the damage, according to a news release from Middletown police.
The three people home at the time were a 13-year-old boy, who was sleeping, his 19-year-old sister and 20-year-old brother.
The 19-year-old sister heard the crash, saw the flames and called police.
Remnants from the gasoline cause damaged to the living room and there was also smoke damage.
Bilal said his three children are shaken up but he is thankful they weren't harmed. If the molotov cocktail had gone off, it would have blocked the doorway to get out.
Police said they do not believe this was random and hope to make an arrest soon.