Police Arrest Driver Accused of Seriously Injuring Farmington Officer

NBC Universal, Inc.

Police have arrested the driver they say hit and seriously injured a Farmington officer last month.

Officer James O'Donnell was pinned between his police cruiser and a stolen vehicle as the driver attempted to take off from a condominium complex on Talcott Notch Road just before 1 a.m. on Sept. 20.

Police responded to the complex for the report of a theft from a vehicle in the area.

Pedro Acevedo, 32, of New Britain, was driving the car that hit O'Donnell, according to police.

Farmington Police Chief Paul Melanson said Acevedo had been in custody for about a week after being charged with larceny in connection with a stolen vehicle in Plainville.

He was served the warrant connected to the incident in Farmington Tuesday.

A man suspected of hitting and seriously injured a Farmington officer last month appeared in court and police spoke after the court appearance.

Melanson credited several police departments with assistance in the case, including a tip from an officer with the Plainville police department, state police and the crime lab. He said, thanks to rapid DNA, evidence was turned around in hours rather than 90 days.

Acevedo appeared in Hartford Superior Court and bond was increased to $750,000.

The case has been moved to Part A and his next court appearance is set for Nov. 9.

Local police departments tell NBC Connecticut they are seeing an uptick in catalytic converter thefts across the state.

O'Donnell suffered multiple broken bones. He underwent surgery the day of the incident.

Police described his injuries as "devastating" and said O'Donnell is lucky to be alive and will need a lengthy rehabilitation to recover.

Melanson said O'Donnell remains in a rehab hospital and will need more surgeries. He is expected to be in the hospital for another four weeks.

"We are hoping we can get him back in a year." Melanson said.

During a news conference Tuesday, police said O'Donnell will not be able to see his children for weeks because of what happened.

Police said they are holding fundraisers, including a flag football game, to help O'Donnell's family.

Melanson said O'Donnell has been a police officer for three years and told the chief he will be coming back.

"He told me he is coming back," Melanson said.

Contact Us