new haven

Police ID Suspect in Shooting of Captain Duff, Homicide of West Haven Man: Police

NBC Universal, Inc.

New Haven police said they have identified a suspect in the shooting two years ago that injured now-retired New Haven Police Captain Anthony Duff and killed Troy Clark, the victim of the shooting Duff was responding to and obtained an arrest warrant.

Police have identified him as Albert Eaddy, 59, of New Haven.

Police said he is in custody for an unrelated parole violation and they obtained a warrant Wednesday that includes charges of murder, felony murder, robbery, as well as additional charges, and it carries a bond of $2 million.

Clark, 46, of West Haven, was shot just before 9:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 12, 2019, in the area of Dixwell Avenue and Henry Street, and succumbed to his injuries. His death was ruled a homicide.

Clark's sister, Veronica Clark, said Thursday that it is a bittersweet day and she thanked the detectives and officers who investigated the case for the last two years.

In his more than two decades of law enforcement, Duff responded to many crimes scenes and shootings, but he was off-duty when he came across the shooting and said he will never be able to forget what he saw that day.

Duff was off-duty and on his way to the hospital where his first grandchild was born earlier that night when he saw a man fire a gun at another man.

He called in to police and then responded as well.

"Working in law enforcement for 25 years, I've been around gunfire, responded to shooting scenes, homicides, all types of major incidents. But it's something else when you're not working, and you're just driving along and you come across something like I did and you have to make a decision," Duff said.

"There's someone there in need of help, in this case, Mr. Troy Clark, and I called it in and I chose to act," Duff said. "And I wish I could have done more to have saved Mr. Clark."

Duff was shot three times and injured in the arm, chest, groin and back, officials said.

He was taken to Yale New Haven Hospital, where he went through surgery. Ten days later, he walked out of the hospital and continued his recovery.  

The first thing Duff did when he was released from the hospital was go to Clark's funeral, he said.

In September 2019, the Police Commissioners Association of Connecticut honored several law enforcement officers, including Duff.

Duff retired in April.

Contact Us