- 4 cups diced native tomatoes-cut in 1/2” pieces
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil plus more for coating diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves-finely minced
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 Lb. dry pasta-any favorite, cooked and drained, not rinsed
- 12 basil leaves-cut into strips or torn into pieces
- As needed Kosher salt, black pepper and Parmesan cheese
Toss the diced tomatoes with the first measure of salt, place into a strainer with a bowl set underneath to catch the juices, let sit for 15 minutes.
Gently press down onto the tomatoes to extract as much juice as you can without totally mashing the tomatoes. Coat the tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil to give a shine. Reserve the tomatoes and juice separately.
Taste Of Today
In a saucepan on medium heat, add the olive oil and onion. Cook until translucent and sweet smelling, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, cook 30 seconds stirring, do not brown. Add the reserved tomato juice and bring to a boil over high heat and reduce until only about 1/4 of the original liquid remains.
Lower the heat and whisk in the butter to emulsify. Add the cooked pasta and stir to coat with the sauce. Stir in the basil, and season to taste with kosher salt, black pepper.
Serve garnished with the reserved diced tomatoes, more basil and Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
This recipe serves four people.
You can visit Chef Jamie's Facebook page here.