Tortilla Starts Fire, Man Rescued - NBC Connecticut

Tortilla Starts Fire, Man Rescued



    A Colon Cancer Patient Gets the Right Care at the Right Time
    Fiery crash along Texas-Oklahoma border.

    Tortillas led to a grease fire at a New Haven apartment Tuesday. It happened when Aaron Badillo, 33, was cooking in the second floor kitchen, reported the New Haven Independent.

    The fire started just before 3 p.m. Tuesday at 260 Howard Avenue.  
    Once the flames spread,  Badillo ran out along with other family members who rent there. But one person was left behind. Rolando Torres was asleep at the time and found himself trapped. The 48-year-old   woke up because a fire alarm went off.  He told the paper he was afraid to walk through the thick smoke, so he stuck his head out the window.  Minutes later, firefighters arrived and rescued him. 

    The two alarm blaze caused “considerable damage” to the second floor, said Fire Chief Michael Grant. The fire spread to the “cockloft” between the third floor ceiling and the roof, he told the paper.

    A dozen people were displaced by the fire but no one was injured.